Monday, November 3, 2008

the final hours

I get to vote in person in a national election for the first time, which is exciting. I've voted in school board elections and the like, but never in a national election, because I've been away at school. I know myself well enough to know that I'm not likely to be up in time to be at the polls when they open at 7 AM. Though with the return of Eastern Standard Time, I suppose it's possible.

It's amazing, but 100 years ago, women couldn't vote. And now I'm going to go stand in line- in pants, sans chaperone- and cast my ballot for president. (Of course, as a DC resident, I'm still disenfranchised, but that's a whole different entry.) I want to bring the women of Seneca Falls forward in time so they can see me, to boost their spirits.

I just wish Election Day wasn't on a Tuesday, so I didn't have to spend 8 hours at work and worry about the lines at the polling place. And I know we'll all be glad when it's over, because this election has dragged on forever.

No comments: